Friday, April 23, 2010

Friday Fun Book!



Today is my niece Celia's birthday~she is in college now but I still think of her as the little girl I used to sing and read to.   I thought in honor of her birthday I would talk about some of the books she always liked to read.  A couple books I have mentioned before but it doesn't hurt to talk about them again.

Giant John by Arnold Lobel  ~last fall I was so happy to see that they reissued this book.   It was always one of my favorites.   I loved to read it Celia, she got a kick out of him dancing with the fairies and knocking the castle down.   She also thought the picture where he finds his mother ready to eat a shoe quite hilarious.   This is a great book to read aloud. 

Sweet Dream Pie by Audrey Wood illus by Mark Teague ~ I don't usually recommend books that are not being published anymore but if you can find this book you won't be disappointed.  I first read this book to Celia before it was officially published.   I had what is called an "F&G" which means "Folded & Gathered".  Basically a book that has not been bound yet.   She loved to read it when she visited.   She always went to the drawer in the guest room to pull it out.   It is a shame it isn't readily available anymore because it too was such a great read aloud.

Over the Rainbow  by E.Y Harburg ~this is a new book that I never read to my niece but I did always sing her the song before she went to bed.   It was one of the songs she always wanted me to sing to her.   I was excited when this book came back because it brings back so many wonderful memories.

The Clown of God by Tomie dePaola ~ I read this book over and over to her when she was little.   As soon as I finished she would ask to hear it again.   It is a wonderful Christmas story told by a wonderful storyteller.

Lastly I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Harry Potter books by JK Rowling.   I am not going to list them as I don't think that is necessary but I will tell you they were Celia's biggest obsession growing up.   Once she got into them she couldn't get enough.   She even listened to it on CD when she went to bed.  I went to many a midnight party with her so she could get the books and took her to a few of the movies.  When I think of Harry Potter I think of her.  

These are just a few of the books that I think of when I think of my niece but they bring back wonderful memories.

Happy Birthday Celia!

No comments:

Post a Comment