Friday, March 4, 2011

Alfie the Apostrophe by Moira Rose Donohue illus by Joann Adinolfi

Today is National Grammar Day, a day where language is celebrated.   Growing up I was never big on grammar (I understood it's importance but would just rather read all day), my least favorite thing to do in school (besides math) was to diagram sentences.   My sister, on the other hand, who grew up to be a Writer loved to diagram sentences.   To this day she says it was always one of her favorite activities in English class.

Alfie the Apostrophe

Alfie the Apostrophe by Moira Rose Donohue and illustrated by Joann Adinolfi is great little picture book that  teaches the importance of punctuation.   I have a soft spot for this book because it is the first book I helped acquire during my short stint working at Scholastic Book Clubs.   I did like the characters and how the story revolved around a school talent show...each "character" or punctuation mark must show their talents.  It is a clever story with sweet illustrations.   I remember thinking when I acquired it that I wished I had something like this to help me remember what an apostrophe does when I was still in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment