Sunday, March 13, 2011

Reference Sunday: Japan

The devastating earthquake and tsunami in Japan has been on my mind all weekend.   The images are striking and mesmerizing at the same time. If the images are disturbing to adults than I am sure they are disturbing for children.   The fact that this event has literally touched American shores has probably doubled a child's concern.   I have written about earthquakes and tsunamis in the past so I thought I would recommend books about Japan----a vibrant and beautiful country.

All About Japan: Stories, Songs, Crafts and MoreLook What Came from JapanI Live in TokyoK is for Kabuki: A Japan Alphabet (Discover the World)National Geographic Countries of the World: Japan

K is for Kabuki: A Japan Alphabet by Gloria Whelan & Jennifer Nolan with illustrations by Oki Han for ages 4-8.

All About Japan: Stories, Songs, Crafts & More by Willamarie Moore with illustrations by Kazumi Wilds for ages 9-12.

I Live In Tokyo by Mari Takabayashi a picture book for ages 4-8.

Look What Came From Japan by Mile Harvey for ages 4-8.

National Geographic Countries of the World: Japan by Charles Phillips for ages 9-12


These are just a few books that I thought would interest children.    I liked them because they each offer something different in the way Japan is described for children.   There is something for everyone.   I hope that by reading these books a child might gain an understanding of a world outside their own.   My thoughts and prayers are with the Japanese people during this difficult and trying time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment