Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St Patrick's Day!

I do not come from an Irish American family....our roots come from Italy but that never stopped my Mother from celebrating St Patrick's Day in a somewhat traditional way.   She always said that St Patrick  was a great Saint and should be celebrated.  Every year she would watch the St Patrick's Day parade, where green and make Irish Soda Bread.  I only remember her making corned beef and cabbage a few times....my Dad was not fond of it....but we would always have the soda bread.  So for my Mom and for the day I am wearing green while the Irish Soda Bread bakes in the oven.

Here are some of my favorite St Patrick's Day books -----

St. Patrick's DayJamie O'Rourke and the Big PotatoTim O'Toole and the Wee Folk (Picture Puffins)The Luckiest St. Patrick's Day Ever

Tim O' Toole and the Wee Folk by Gerald McDermott---a great read aloud.

Jamie O'Rourke and the Big Potato by Tomie dePaola----another fun "Irish" story.

The Luckiest St Patrick's Day Ever by Teddy Slater and illustrated by Ethan Long----cute little leprechaun book.

St Patrick's Day by Gail Gibbons---the best book to explain this holiday to children...keeps it simple.


Just a few ideas to help celebrate --- Erin Go Bragh!

No comments:

Post a Comment