Wednesday, March 9, 2011

World Read Aloud Day!

Today is World Read Aloud Day.....According to SLJ" Librarians, authors, adults, teens, and children from all over the globe will celebrate the power of words and stories during the annual World Read Aloud Day on Wednesday, March 9."


Since I love a good read aloud ---and most of the books I recommend fall into this category---I thought I would list some of my all time favorites.   They are mostly classic so if you want more than please click on "Read Aloud" on the side of this blog.   Here is a nice list in no particular order:




Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months






Chicken Soup With Rice by Maurice Sendak--I love the alliteration in this story. 












Giant John






Giant John by Arnold Lobel ----my niece and nephews new this one by heart.










Green Eggs and Ham (I Can Read It All by Myself Beginner Books)






Green Eggs and Ham by Dr Seuss----my favorite but any Dr Seuss is great to read aloud.










The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry and THE BIG HUNGRY BEAR






The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry and the Big Hungry Bear by Don & Audrey Wood---a fun book to read aloud, I just love to see the children's reactions to this great book.  










The Very Busy Spider: A Lift-the-Flap Book (The World of Eric Carle)






The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle---as with the Dr Suess books any Eric Carle book makes a great read aloud....but this is my favorite....










The Tale of Custard the Dragon




The Tale of Custard the Dragon by Ogden Nash and Lynn Munsinger ----lovely rhyme that begs to be read aloud.   










These are just a few of my favorites....but most any book will do, even a novel or chapter book.   What is most important is the closeness that comes from reading a book or story aloud to a child...that is priceless.   Have a fun Read Aloud kind of day!

No comments:

Post a Comment