Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Happy Birthday Dr Suess!

Back when I was a buyer of children's books one of my mainstay subjects was "Dr Seuss", yes these books had their own category and section in the stores.   I loved working on Read Across America every year.  To go back even farther; when I first started working in the children's section of the bookstore I wasn't comfortable recommending books.   I figured it was easier to go with what I knew and what was classic.  My first suggestions were always a Dr Seuss book, which always resulted in a sale.  When I was finally  in charge of the department I would tell any new person to do what I did, "sell what you know and what you remember".... Dr Suess books were and are  always great  "go to" books.


 
Horton Hatches the Egg
Today is Theodor “Dr. Seuss” Geisel's birthday.   This morning I asked my sister Ann what her favorite Dr Seuss book was, without hesitation she said "Horton Hatches the Egg".   I too am a great fan of Horton....he is such a sweet character.    A memorable character amongst memorable characters.   A definite must have title.  



No comments:

Post a Comment