Sunday, March 6, 2011

Reference Sunday: The Dred Scott Decision March 6, 1857

I, Dred Scott: A Fictional Slave Narrative Based on the Life and Legal Precedent of Dred Scott


Today is the anniversary of the Dred Scott Decision of 1857.   I have to admit I wasn't that familiar with it. I knew it had to do with slavery but I wasn't up on the facts.   I personally feel bad that I can't remember learning about this historical moment in school.   I was pleased to see that there are many books for young readers to learn about this important time in our history.   Here is a sampling of some of those books:

Dred Scott Decision by Jason Scott and published by Compass Books.

I, Dred Scott by Sheila P. Mosses, illustrated by Bonnie Christensen and published by S&S---a fictionalized account but well written with historical facts to back it up.

Dred and Harriet Scott: A Family's Struggle for  Freedom by Gwenyth Swain and published by Borealis Books----this has a nice glossary and bibliography, also liked that it discussed the family aspect of the people involved.

Some things should never be forgotten.






  

No comments:

Post a Comment