Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

When I left my last job a few years ago I threw the galley of this book into a box and brought it home.   It has been sitting on my shelf ever since.   Periodically I would read an article about it or hear a discussion and think to myself I should read it but I never got around to it.  Well a few weeks ago I was packing for my yearly sojourn down the Jersey Shore when I impulsively picked it up and packed it with my beach stuff.   The first day on the beach I opened it not expecting to be drawn in as quickly as I was.   I couldn't believe that I had put reading this wonderful book off for so long.
The Mysterious Benedict Society


The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart with illustrations by Carson Ellis is one of the most original books I have read in a long time.   I know I am coming late to the table on this but as they say "better late than never"....this book gave me a feeling of childhood.  It has such a retro feel to it but at the same time is very timely.   I also loved the characters.....Reynie is the kind of kid we can't imagine exists but probably and sadly does somewhere.   Kate, Sticky and even Constance are so intriguing and unique that I wished I could meet them.  It was so great that even while some parts were predictable (which isn't always a bad thing) some parts were totally unexpected.   For all the characters quirkiness they had very real reactions to very strange circumstances.   I also love the illustrations because they have an "Edward Gorey" feel to them which fits the book perfectly.

This is a great book for the reluctant or voracious reader.   It makes a good read along book too....

I can't wait to read the sequels: The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey  & the newest one The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma.  

I love when I discover a treasure of a book....especially when it was right before my eyes all along.  

No comments:

Post a Comment