Friday, October 16, 2009

Fun Book of the Day: Runaway Mummy by Michael Rex


I was in the bookstore the other day and found this wonderfully funny new book: The Runaway Mummy by Michael Rex. I love to read parodies especially when they are done well. I also love when I read something that makes me laugh out loud. This clever book is a follow up to his Goodnight Goon which was also a parody.


Runaway Mummy I think I like a bit better because there are less parodies Runaway Bunny, on which it is based. I have seen many more takeoffs of Goodnight Moon so while I like Goodnight Goon it didn't have as much of an impact on me.


Like I said I laughed out loud while reading the Runaway Mummy~which always elicits stares. The funny thing is that Runaway Bunny always reminds me of a part-time employee when I worked in the bookstore. She used to complain about it because she felt it was a very co-dependent book and didn't send the right message. So this parody brought that memory to the forefront and actually made me enjoy it more.


Of course kids won't know that, they will just experience a fun book about a mummy that will make them laugh. The illustrations are wonderful and totally enhance the story. I would totally read this at storytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment