Thursday, October 8, 2009

National Poetry Day in the UK




I saw that today is National Poetry Day in England. April is National Poetry Month here in the United States. This means I would need to wait until then to talk about our Children's Poet Laureate. Mary Ann Hoberman, a prolific children's author, was appointed Children's Poet Laureate one year ago today. I have always enjoyed her books through the years. I especially enjoy her series of books titled You Read to Me, I'll Read to You...because they let the child become part of story time. They are a great before bed read aloud for parents to have quality time with their children. The new one is called You Read to Me I'll Read to You Very Short Scary Tales to Read Together.

I love her writing, she really knows how children think and writes in such a way that her words are accessible. A most recent poetry book of her is called The Llama Who Had No Pajama. This collection of poems spans her storied career.

``````````````````````````````
Because it is National Poetry Month in the UK I thought I would suggest a great new poetry collection by Julie Andrews and her daughter Emma Walton Hamilton. Since, of course, Julie Andrews is originally from England. Julie Andrews' Collection of Poems, Songs and Lullabies is a wonderful book illustrated by James McMullan that should be a must on your child's bookshelf. It has 150 works from Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson, Shel Silverstein and even Rodgers & Hammerstein among others. There is even an accompanying CD with 21 of the works being read by Julie and her daughter. This would make a great family gift too!




No comments:

Post a Comment