Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Omnivore's Dilemma for Kids by Michael Pollan


In a previous entry I mentioned that I started a veggie burger business with my sister-in-law. We started the business because she makes great veggie burgers and we had been noticing how many people wanted to eat better. One of the things I did was read a book by Michael Pollan called In Defense of Food. I learned how to read labels and shop a supermarket correctly or at least more healthfully. I hadn't read his book The Omnivore's Dilemma but I discussed it with people who have read it. I thought it would be too much information for me and well I didn't want to stop eating everything. Turns out I should have read it but now I can do one better and read Michael Pollan's young readers version, The Omnivore's Dilemma for Kids. It is written for the average young reader to help them understand how and where their food is made. He uses lots of photos and graphs and writes in a plain straightforward language so that kids will not be overwhelmed. It is definitely a good read!


While selling our veggie burgers at the farmer's market we have been amazed at how many parents tell us that one or more of their children are vegetarians. Kids are making their own decisions about what they eat and that is a good thing. This book should help them make informed choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment