Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Happy Birthday to two Greats! : Celia Cruz & Dizzy Gillespie





Normally I like to write about a new book on Wednesdays but I couldn't resist writing today about two of my favorite musicians. It turns out that the Queen of Salsa and the infamous Jazz Man share a birthday. I have always liked all kinds of music so I love the fact that I can share some books about two icons in the music world.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I never really knew Celia Cruz while she was living, I regret that but it is always good to learn something new. She had a very colorful life and I am even prouder because she lived here in New Jersey. The following two titles are great introductions to a beautiful woman and successful singer.

Celia Cruz, Queen of Salsa by Veronica Chambers
My Name is Celia/Me Llamo Celia by Monica Brown (a bilingual book)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dizzy Gillespie is the premier Jazz musician of his time. Just listening to his music gives me a thrill. Interestingly enough he had a lot to do with bringing other music to the forefront and this includes Salsa so it is even more fitting that he and Celia Cruz share this post. Here are my two favorite books on his life to share with children.

Dizzy by Jonah Winter
The Jazz Man by Karen Ehrhardt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The wonderful thing about illustrated books for children is that the range of subjects is as diverse as the children we know. These books are a clear example of the fact that there are books for every child and their interests. These books are great because they are great read alouds~~fun for both reader and listener alike!






No comments:

Post a Comment