Friday, November 13, 2009

Happy Birthday Robert Louis Stevenson!




Today is the birth anniversary of one of our greatest writers of all time. I think, though, that he tends to be forgotten. We remember his stories and works but never really recall the man. I always loved to look at my sister's copy of A Child's Garden of Verses. The photo at the beginning of the book of Robert Louis Stevenson always made me think he was a sad person. I am not sure if he was or not it just made me think that way.

I loved his poems like The Land of Counterpane or Bed in Summer....after reading his poems for years I discovered his novel Treasure Island, I can still see the copy I owned with its red cover. It has always been one of my favorite books.

His poetry is a great introduction of poetry for children. His poems are totally accessible and fun to read. There is such a lyrical quality to them. His novels and stories are also a great way to introduce the classics to children. At this time of year they would make great gifts.

Here are some of my other favorites:

Kidnapped (always thought this is a great book for boys---although I thought it was so exciting)
The Black Arrow (historical novel that has a bit of romance---great for the girl in your life)
New Arabian Nights (great book of short stories)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment