Sunday, November 1, 2009

Reference Sunday: Break a Leg!: The Kid's Guide to Acting and Stagecraft by Lisa Friedman; My First Acting Book by Kristen Dabrowski




Yesterday for Halloween my nephew Alex was a Mime. He went door to door and performed a 3 minute routine before he asked for candy. I thought it was great and so did all of the people he performed for. I know so many children who love to perform that I thought this would be a good opportunity to talk about some acting books. I couldn't think of any books for kids on being a Mime but I found two great books that would be perfect for the young thespians in your life.


My First Acting Book: Acting Techniques for Beginners by Kristen Dabrowski is part of a series of acting titles from the publishers Smith & Kraus. This publisher is in the acting business and primarily publishes books on acting not just for children but for adults as well. This is their newest title for kids. It is written for younger children about 4-8.


Break A Leg!: The Kids Guide to Acting and Stagecraft by Lisa Friedman & Mary Dowdle is for the older child around 9-12 (although I suspect it would be great for some teens & adults). This is an older title but still quite relevant and is a wonderful introduction into acting and stagecraft. I took a Stagecraft course in college and thought it was really interesting. Not that I act or anything but I was always interested in the behind the scenes of the acting and performing world.


So many children could benefit from these books or books like them if only to help them with their self esteem and presentation skills. I hope you think so too!

No comments:

Post a Comment