Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Flashback Tuesday: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens


When I was little one of my favorite gifts one Christmas was a copy of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens illustrated by Arthur Rackman. I loved this book. I reread it every year right before Christmas.


I think this is the perfect time to recommend this book. I always think this would be a great read aloud before the holidays. The kind of thing that can be read one chapter at a time each night, until Christmas. It is great way for families to spend time together or cuddle up before going to bed.


Normally I wouldn't suggest getting an abridged addition but sometimes they can be useful. When I was in the stores an abridged addition came in that I used to put on a performance in the store. It was great. I got a few staff members to help and we stood on the steps and read the story to the customers....we even served cider and cocoa at the end. It was so much fun. This might be a good thing to do with children or even adults at any holiday party.....


Since A Christmas Carol is considered public domain there are many issues out in the world. I like the ones with the original illustrations by Rackman but there are many other ones to choose from. So go out and find the copy you like and reread this classic story!

No comments:

Post a Comment