Sunday, January 10, 2010

Reference Sunday: Spies of Mississippi: The True Story of the Spy Network that Tried to Destroy the Civil Rights Movement by Rick Bowers


I don't usually write about books that haven't come out yet but I thought I would make an exception. Spies of Mississippi is coming out on January 12, so it is close enough. This is a great book for any child today. I know a few 10 year olds who would love to know that spying goes on in the real world and not just on TV. This is a great way to teach history without being boring. I love the fact that the Mr Bowers uses real first hand accounts to get his point across. Sadly I don't think kids today realize that it is only recently that everyone in this country has a right to vote and be heard. When Barack Obama became President so many young people didn't get the historical significance of that event.
I think this is a wonderful book to explain how ordinary people can help change the world...a must have!

No comments:

Post a Comment