Saturday, January 30, 2010

Remember Me: Tomah Joseph's Gift to Franklin Roosevelt by Donald Soctomah and Jean Flahive illus Mary Beth Owens


I had a dilemma this morning. Do I write about our 32nd President FDR because it is his birthday or do I write about moon books because today the the first full moon of the year.


I am opting to write about FDR today and save moon books for tomorrow's Reference Sunday.


Today I am suggesting a book about Franklin Delano Roosevelt that is not the typical biography. I figure there are so many biographies out in the world already that it would be redundant to write about them. Instead I have chosen a book that I think would be of more interest to children. It is always interesting to kids to see famous or historical people in a different light. Sometimes we forget that our presidents were children once too.



Remember Me: Tomah Joseph's Gift to Franklin Roosevelt by Donald Soctomah & Jean Flahive is a picture book about FDR when he was a child. When Franklin was a boy he summered in Canada where he became friends with a local tribal chief. This is a story of how they were possibly friends. It is a good way to teach children about the influence of Native Peoples on the world. The soft illustrations by Mary Beth Owens captures the spirit of a wonderful time and place. While children should read real biographies of historical figures it is always good to give them an alternative view also.



No comments:

Post a Comment