Sunday, January 31, 2010

Reference Sunday: Testing the Ice: A True Story about Jackie Robinson by Sharon Robinson Illus Kadir Nelson


Yesterday I said I would talk about moon books because last night was the first full moon of the year. What I had forgotten was that I had talked about the Moon back in October so I am going to link to that post now and talk about one of America's most famous baseball players instead.



If you read yesterday's blog about a FDR picture book you will recall that I like books about historical figures that don't fit into the usual biography format. I realized that today is the birth anniversary of Jackie Robinson~the baseball player who broke the color barrier back in 1947 when he went to play for the Brooklyn Dodgers (my grandfather's favorite team). He was an extraordinary man who made contributions to the world on and off the diamond.


Testing the Ice: A True Story of Jackie Robinson by his daughter Sharon Robinson is a wonderful picture book that shows him as a loving father and family man. The illustrations by critically acclaimed illustrator Kadir Nelson are warm and inviting. This is a great book to introduce younger children to a very important life. An inspirational story to read even if you aren't a baseball fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment